Sunday 1 May 2011

Berlin



Another part of this whole journey through authenticity and lack of it is me re-discovering Berlin. Re-discovering simply because I grew up just round the corner from Berlin (my hometown - Szczecin - is about 2 hours drive away from the German capitol). I always thought I knew Berlin quite well. For me, and for most of the people in my hometown, it was just an extension of what we already had and knew way too well.



Grey, concrete and heavily influenced by war and comunism, Berlin is just a bit bigger version of my hometown. Exciting, as exciting as can be for a capitol. I was always quite skeptical about the place (probably we just had too many fieldtrips over there).
All of the sudden Berlin became a cultural capitol and the most trendy destination possible. It definitely took me quite a lot of re-discovering.
I guess again; Berlin seems to be a cheaper and less crowded substitute for London. With it's very industrial landscape, Londoners treat Berlin almost as their home, or at least a more affordable version of it.
So now the phenomenon that I first discovered in London and started properly understanding in New York, arrived also to Berlin

.

I will be really interested to see how the city progresses oer the years and how does that change Berlin's economic situation aa well the atmosphere of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment